It’s almost upon us… Summer 2017! The most wonderful time of the year. I’m quietly cautious about this season as there’s not that much for me personally to get hyped for. Usually there are a few sequels or a few manga adaptations I’ve been waiting for (as was the case in the winter) but looking through the titles which will be coming out in just under two weeks I’m not sure if there’s too much for me to pick up. Alas, this is what I will be watching although I’m sure that after the first week I will have culled at least a third of this list.
- A Centaur’s Life – This is one where I read the first three manga volumes of just over a year ago and completely fell in love with its charm. The series is like a blend between Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Oshiete! Galko-chan where it focuses on monster girls as they go through puberty and start thinking about their adult lives. I fully expect it to be a short series but I can’t find any information on how long each episode will be. Just like Oshiete! Galko-chan I can’t really find anybody else talking about this or see them paying much attention to it which is a shame.
- Ballroom e Youkoso – A sports show? Sign me up. A sports show who’s sport is ballroom dancing? Sign me the fuck up. *Please be good please be good*. I have absolutely no doubt the only reason the manga got an anime adaptation was due to the success of Yuri on Ice but I just hope this show is able to bring something new to the table and improve on where Yuri on Ice went wrong. Also Production I.G is the studio behind it and I have complete confidence that they know what they’re doing with sports shows what with Kuroko no Basuke, Haikyuu, Diamond no Ace and Prince of Tennis all under their belt.
- Dive!! – Look, I don’t have a sports bias I promise. A swimming show featuring cute boys. No, it’s not Free. I’m mainly watching this to see if it can provide a semi-decent story and beautiful animation. If it turns out to be a sub-par version of Free which is only marketed at fangirls then it’ll be an immediate drop. Plus I don’t like anything the studio has made so I’m not expecting perfection.
- Isekai Shokudou – Seems from it’s synopsis to be a rather charming slice of life show about other worldly creatures coming to this restaurant, however I can’t find it being described as a slice of life anywhere. To my surprise and immense interest one of its genre tags is ‘mystery’. I would have picked this up for the slice of life aspect anyway but this has just made the whole series seem ten times more intriguing.
- Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. – Oh great, another one of the ‘oh no I’m trapped in another world and all these cute girls flock to me like I’m the second coming of
JesusKirito’ shows. I’m told that the light novel is a lot more of a parody of the genre, like KonoSuba which in a way makes me a little more critical. It looks like a lot of the shows this season have only been made because of the recent successes of series which are like them. Again this is another one which I will have to drop if it doesn’t do anything unique or just becomes a poor man’s KonoSuba.
- Kakegurui – Okay so this is something I am genuinely looking forward to. The show is set in a strange school with very high stakes and teaches its students using a very unique curriculum (nothing unique about it so far…) which focuses on gambling. Think Food Wars but with gambling. The show has the potential to be something truly smart and, if done the way I think it will be done, could be in the running for anime of the season.
- Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun – Look, I swear I watch things other than sports shows. It seems like a much more comedic show, however, and I think it will be more just about the titular character and his wacky personality. Optimistic for this one to deliver on its promise to be first a foremost a comedy show with the sports aspect as a platform for the comedy.
- Koi to Uso – Simple romance anime in a school blah blah blah. What’s that? Once you turn sixteen the government chooses who your ‘mate’ will be? Sign me right up. I just hope it’s not melodrama. If it is a melodrama then it really doesn’t need to have such a unique and interesting plot like this. Please don’t devolve into the depths of shojo hell.
- Made in Abyss – This wasn’t on my radar at all and to be honest I had no idea it existed until I watched the PV. Boy am I glad I watched that. It’s an adorable adventure story focusing on an orphan girl and the boy robot she finds in a cave. By god does it look charming.
- New Game!! (Sequel) – Possibly the only ‘safe’ pick I have for this season. If this season of the show can capture even a sliver of what made the previous season so fun and charming then this’ll be a contender for anime of the season, especially with what little competition it has.
Yup that’s it for TV series. I may pick up some new stuff depending on if they’re pleasant surprises or depending on availability in my country. Some of these series will definitely be dropped along the way also. Oh god did I name ten series. I did. Did I just inadvertently make a top ten list?
In terms of films I’ll be trying to look out for opportunities to watch the new No Game No Life movie and Mary to Majo no Hana which looks like something I would expect from Studio Ghibli.